In a world where men are struggling with all types of addictions, relationship difficulties, commitment issues and a general inability to act responsibly, the Promise Keepers organization is a Christian organization for men that provides guidance and help. While it originated in the United States, independent branches are established in Canada and New Zealand. It is self-described as “a Christ-centered organization dedicated to introducing men to Jesus Christ as their Savior and Lord, helping them to grow as Christians”. Promise Keepers is a non-profit organization, not affiliated with any Christian church or denomination that champions opposite-sex marriage and marital fidelity. Their most widely publicized events tend to be mass rallies held at football stadiums and similar venues. They also sell a variety of promotional products to “help men keep their promises,” including clothing, books, and music. Bruce Wilkinson developed the widely used video curriculum, Personal Holiness in Times of Temptation, as a part of “The Biblical Manhood” series for Promise Keepers.
The core beliefs of the Promise Keepers, outlined in the Seven Promises, consist of the following:
- A Promise Keeper is committed to honoring Jesus Christ through worship, prayer and obedience to God’s Word in the power of the Holy Spirit.
- A Promise Keeper is committed to pursuing vital relationships with a few other men, understanding that he needs brothers to help him keep his promises.
- A Promise Keeper is committed to practising spiritual, moral, ethical and sexual purity.
- A Promise Keeper is committed to building strong marriages and families through love, protection, and Biblical values.
- A Promise Keeper is committed to supporting the mission of his church by honoring and praying for his pastor and by actively giving his time and resources.
- A Promise Keeper is committed to reaching beyond any racial and denominational barriers to demonstrate the power of Biblical unity.
- A Promise Keeper is committed to influencing his world, being obedient to the Great Commandment (Mark 12:30-31) and the Great Commission (Matthew 28:19-20).
Men’s lives all across the nation are being radically changed through The First Hour for Men 30-day program. With The First Hour for Men, Mark W. Koch gives men a simple pathway that will help the reader become a true man of God in every area of their lives. This unique and simple 30-day study guide instructs men how to pray, what to pray for, how to spiritually guard and protect themselves and their families, and how to grow closer to God in their everyday lives.
19 Lions applauds the intent of the Promise Keepers and the work they are doing for the Kingdom of God. The more any group of men gather to grow in Christ is a good thing and hopefully will lead more people coming to God. Charlotte NC worship music and worship bands such as 19 Lions continue to write, record and perform original contemporary Christian songs in an effort to expand our net as we fish for men.